Monday, December 11, 2006

ME?


I was doing some research on neo conceptualism today and looking at some of Cindy Sherman's work. Somehow, this lead me to finally put to use the old diaries and photos of myself, that I've been dragging around with me, some for over 15 years. My first peice in this series, I've named "ME?" I hardly recognize myself in the photo taken a month before my sixteeenth birthday. Big hair and a mint green polka dot dress (which I hated). The text is the the first four pages from my "top secret" diary started 8 days before my 16th birthday. The text begins on July 5, 1989: "Today, I have decided that I want to keep a diary of my thoughts. It usually helps me understand what I'm feeling and what I want. Lately, I've been trying to feel better about myself by reading instead of watching TV, not eating as much junk food, and if I'm not working I try to spend my time wisely." Well, I may not recognize the girl in the photo, or her handwriting, but the girl in the text hasn't changed much and could probably teach me a thing or two. I haven't completely worked out the layout, but for now, it's sort of a fake scrap book thing.

No comments: